Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Great Mom Debate: Working Moms vs. Stay-Home Moms

One of the most important issues facing women today, I think, is the stay-home mom vs. career woman issue. Historically, even when women in America gained the opportunity to work, many gave up their jobs and/or careers when they got married or pregnant. Even many highly educated women did this.


I'd like to first state my frame of reference on this issue. I am a young, childless woman, and therefore I have not faced this issue firsthand, and can only speak to what I speculate, ponder, and have read about. However, I fully plan to have and/or adopt children of my own someday. Additionally, I'm in pursuit of a serious career. So I struggle with this issue a great deal, especially having grown up with a stay-at-home mom. Until very recently, I felt that children should have a parent around at all times. I fell prey to social and media pressure, and thought I might be a terrible mother if I sometimes work late, or bring work home with me. But is that really the case? Should mothers actually sacrifice everything for their children?


I now firmly believe that they should not. I think that this issue shows poignantly one of the most powerful double-standards imposed on modern women. Sure, men are expected to be good fathers. But the criticism laid on fathers who work long hours is nothing compared to the guilt that is often pushed on women who have careers that take them away from their children.

However, people have a right to pursue their goals. For many people, their goals involve having a successful career. Why should a woman, just because she has given birth to a child, have to give up that career to care for a child? I am in no way saying that a mother who has a career should neglect her child. As centuries of fathers have shown, a working parent is not necessarily a neglectful parent.


One of the most interesting things about this issue is the nature of the debate. The word "catty" has (of course) been used to describe it, because often stay-home moms strongly believe that good mothers stay home, and working moms hotly counter that by saying that they have a right to pursue their career. They also point out that they help (or solely) provide for their family; how is that being a bad mother? It's becoming increasingly more difficult in the United States for a family to survive on one income. It's understandable. No one really wants to be told they are bad at anything, let along caring for a human (or humans) that they have brought into the world. Parenting is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, responsibility that many people will take on.


Another issue is that the media and entertainment bombard us with the image of the parent who is at work, rather than at their child's important event (they even do this to men; think Hook). Commercials for digital cameras, computers, cell phones, etc. take advantage of this guilt to sell us gadgets that will allow us to be at work and see our kids' baseball games, dance recitals, whatever.


I'm not saying parents shouldn't feel bad about missing their children's events. I'm sure it's unavoidable. But the expectation put on moms to excel at both being a mother and being a working woman, or to simply give up everything for their children, is unrealistic, and unnecessary. I used to think, "What if I miss my baby's first step? Or first word? Or first home run?" This thought haunted me for years (Really. That's not an exaggeration). Then, after many conversations with working parents, and with adult children of working parents, I realized something. Who does it really matter to most? Is my kid really going to care if I miss the first step? Probably not. I care, because I want to see it. While that is still important, I realized that my child is probably not going to be psychologically damaged by it. Sure, they'll probably get upset when I miss things that are important to them, and I'm not saying that I'm not going to try my very hardest to not miss things, but it's probably not going to send them to a therapist.

Here is what I think is really important: being a strong role model. I believe very strongly that people should be allowed to make their own decisions, and not conform to expectations or roles imposed upon them. Whether I have boy(s) or girl(s), I want them to see that a woman can be successful in a career, and happy in her own decisions. In that way, my daughter may never doubt that it is possible, and my son will know to respect women, and to understand that they can produce valuable work.

I'd like to end with saying that I don't think stay-home mothers are bad parents, or bad people. I respect them--I could never have the patience to do it. I just don't think that women should be pressured into that role, or judged because they choose to go to work.

9 comments:

  1. I agree w/you totally.

    Although, I can't help but think that a college degree is a complete waste when a women decides to be a stay-at-home mom. I have a facebook acquaintance who has a teaching degree and she stays at home, quite literally, on a farm. Eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you, Felicia. I've grown up in a wonderfully supportive household with a stay-at-home mother, and I feel it has helped me become the person I am today, but I do not believe that is the only possible way that I could've become who I am.

    Also, my father spent many months out of the year away for the Air Force ever since I was a little girl. I believe my sister and I are fine even with this factor in our childhood because even though he worked a lot, we knew he still supported and loved us and would do what he could when he could. So whether or not a parent works or stays home doesn't matter quite as much, in my opinion. I think as long as the child knows that the parents truly love and care, that helps a great deal.

    But to Kristen, I do not think it's a complete waste of time. Maybe she pursued a college degree for her own personal worth/interest, just as many students at-large-do. And perhaps, one day, she just might use that degree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the sad thing really is that its about the mom, and not about *a* parent staying at home. I've often wondered about what it would be like if i were a stay at home dad (if i end up with children). I think i would still want to pursue my personal goals so i wonder how it would work out for me.
    We have to make decisions in our lives, do we give up this to get that? Do we split our time between the two? Can we be happy with only one? If not where is the balance? Balance and happiness are the key words.
    I cannot help but think that seeing one's parents be successful in life (not talking about money) would be beneficial, but then that means that the parent must decide where success lies.
    Raising a child is a juggling act, I'm just happy to be around when we are beginning tear down the gender roles; to asy: Why must it be the woman? Why must one NOT work?
    We are finally looking at real individualism, when one can be part of a whole while still be a self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate you pointing out media involvement and corporate involvement in the perpetuation of disturbing ideas concerning something as sacred as child bearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Kristen: Education of any kind, most especially a college degree, and the expansion of a person's mind--mother, or not--is never a waste of time. Just think of how all of those (hopefully positive) things learned will trickle down to children...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am A stay at home mom and to me no amount of money or how awesome a career is could make me change my mind. Children are only little once. You don't get a second chance.I do have a degree and it's not a total waste. I will use it or do something for myself when my children are old enough. I came from struggling working parents. I was the kid who had a grandparent or an Aunt show up because my parents had to work. It made me feel unimportant and unloved. I feel like no child should have to feel that way if at all possible. I realize my parents were young and had no choice. I do now understand.I appreciate how hard they worked for me because at times we had no extras. I understand some people don't have a choice. I worked as a Nanny for five years and babysat for people who have big Careers for a long time. Some of those children came from extreme wealth. They were some of the most unhappiest kids I have ever met. They didn't care about the big fancy house , cars, pools, vacations, toys, electronics. They just wanted attention from mom and dad. I think it's whatever works best for you as a family!!!!! Just because you put your career on hold doesn't mean you are a waste. I do everything I can for my child. My reward is much greater than materialistic things. We come into this world with nothing and we go out with nothing but memories. What ever path you choose make sure you go out with good memories. We only have one chance at life.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I and my brother and sister were raised by a mostly stay-at-home mom, and I've always been thankful for that. Especially as my daughter has two parents who have to work all day (fortunately she spends the day with grandma, and the evenings and weekends with one parent or the other). I regret not spending more time with her, just like I know her mother does; and I think about the difference in parenting all the time, between my own childhood, and the childhood of my daughter.

    But my mom and my ex-wife have both always felt (and I firmly agree) that you, the parent, have to make yourself happy - whether with a career, a part-time job, fulfilling hobbies, or whatever - or you're not doing the kids any favors. A child isn't helped by a parent who gives up everything for them - it just means the parent has less of the world to offer, is less of a fully-rounded person ... and is potentially a cranky or resentful caregiver, which of course is no bargain. (Certainly not saying that a mom or dad SHOULDN'T be a stay-at-home-er! Just that they should be happy about it, if they do it, and not deny themselves their hobbies and creative outlets and outside friends.)

    I wish I could be a stay-at-home dad - but I'd still be doing plenty of community theatre lol. But I don't get the pressure from society and media and well-meaning individuals, either - being a man - that you and your gender get, and probably always will get ... that you have to make a choice. And that whatever you pick, it will be the wrong choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of my parents worked throughout my growing up... and it was just a fact of life. My parents made it to any event I wanted them to be at, and if they missed it due to work, I hardly feel like it would have developmentally challenged me. The fact is, in this economy, or ANY economy, those who are career minded are perfectly capable of being both driven professionally, and maintain a good family.

    When I eventually have a child, I fully intend to see my wife return to work after a nominal period of time. The ideology of "stay at home" is admirable to those who can afford it. But to me, there's enough time in this world for all of us to be both driven in our personal passions, and focus on our children.

    ReplyDelete